So you want to work in health and safety and you’ve finally managed to land yourself an interview? You’re in luck! This blog post is full of interview tips for health and safety jobs – enjoy!
Before the interview:
- Remember that they want to interview you, so try not to be too nervous or doubt yourself too much – you wouldn’t have been invited if they didn’t think you were good enough.
- As with any interview, learn a bit about the company. If you are asked to tell them what you know about the business and you know nothing, you’re not going to look like you’re very interested in the role.
- Dress smart, smile and exuberate confidence (even if you’re nervous). Also, remember to shake the interviewer’s hand!
During the interview:
- Most interviewers will ask the question “why did you apply for this position?” so be prepared to answer it! Show that you are enthusiastic about the industry, the company and the job – and link this to your CV if you can.
- Strengths and weaknesses are another thing you are bound to be asked about, so be prepared to recognise and talk about these things, and have an example ready if possible.
- You may also be given a hypothetical situation and asked how you’d fix the problem. If you aren’t sure, just try to answer but explain that you aren’t overly confident on that area.
End of the interview:
At the end of the interview you will be given the opportunity to ask a few questions yourself, here are some ideas –
- What are the next steps in the interview process? You are entitled to asking this and it’s good to know what to expect.
- When can you expect to hear from them? This gives you an idea of how long you’ll have to wait, rather than anxiously waiting.
- What is their commitment to health and safety? The answer to this question will tell you whether the company wants to hire you because by law they need to have health and safety, or if they are genuinely committed to it.
Hopefully this has given you an idea of how you’ll interview will go, and you’re ready to begin your new health and safety job! If you are interested in boosting your CV and want to progress yourself, check out the health and safety courses we offer below: